Traveling with your children can be a daunting experience, but with a little planning, it can become a true delight. Learn how to travel safely with your children by multiple means of transportation and enjoy a pleasant experience.
Below are a few important tips for traveling safely with your family. Take into account the age of the children, their specific needs and interests, and above all, the safety measures you have to take before and during the holiday in order to spend quality time with the young ones.
How to Travel Safely with Your Children – Traveling by Airplane
- Before boarding the plane take some time to talk to your children about the procedures at the airport. Prepare them for the security screening process, inform them about the bags which have to be X-rayed and tell them to be calm and polite.
- Tell them that jokes about bombs and other terrorist acts are frowned upon in an airport.
- Dress your children with many layers of clothing and adequate shoes in order to undress them easily if they get to too warm.
- You should pack a bag with toys and snacks to keep your kid busy during the flight.
- Protect your child by restraining him in a car safety seat which is age appropriate until he is big enough to use the aircraft seat belt.
How to Travel Safely with Your Children – Traveling by Car
- Only once your child has outgrown the rear-facing height or weight limit, allow him to use forward facing car safety seat. When your child is old enough protect him with the car seatbelts.
- Children younger than 13 years must ride in the rear seat of vehicles. Only children over 13 ride in the front.
- Be an example for your child and always use a seatbelt.
- Traveling long distances can become very annoying for young children. They can become anxious and irritable and in order to prevent this from happening you have to keep them entertained. Try playing car games – like sing-along or I spot with my little eye.
- Take frequent breaks to stretch your legs and maybe have a snack. Carry hand-whipes, lots of water or juice and a health kit.
Recommended Read: Is your furry friend coming along for the holiday? Learn how to travel safely with pets!
Traveling with Toddlers
- It is imperative to use car safety seats for infants and young children. Do not neglect this aspect when traveling by car or bus.
- Toddlers are sensitive to changes of environment, so ensure that you bring along at least one comfort item, be it their favorite blankie or stuffed toy.
- Toddlers adapt more easily to new environments if they maintain their regular feeding and sleeping schedule. Make sure you adapt your holiday schedule to the one they are used to at home. As a result, both you and the toddler will enjoy the new experience more.
- When traveling with an infant or toddler, make sure you do a check-up at a pediatrician before the trip. In case the child needs any special treatment, do not forget to bring the required medicine with you on the trip.
- Make sure your little one has all the vaccines necessary for international travel in order to prevent complications abroad.
- Jet lag can become a real problem , especially for young children, this is why you should help him adjust by changing the sleeping schedule 3 days before the trip.
- Cribs or play yards provided by hotels are not always safe. Be sure you check the item before allowing your child to use it.
- Involve your children in both fun and cultural activities, such as zoos or museum visits. This way they will experience the new culture and gain lifelong memories.
Recommended Read: More tips on how to create a memorable family vacation that you will treasure forever!
Our tips are designed to ease the trip and make it more enjoyable. It is important to respect all laws and regulations when traveling with children, so they are safe at all times. Do you have any recommendations on how to travel safely with your children? If you have any other suggestions please leave a comment.